Now, I know I still have one more week until I go and live on my own, but I have been trying come up with my first grocery list. One reason is because I enjoy making lists and the other reason is that I am bored.
My parents (more likely my mom) are going to help buy food for me. This is a good thing because I am so used to helping my mother buy food for a family of 5. However, now that I will be on my own I will be buying food for myself and some extra food just in case my boyfriend comes over and such. Wait….how am I supposed to cook for two people? I have rarely done that. Oh well, if I make too much then at least I will have lunch for school and my boyfriend and can share the food with his roommates.
Well, I got a little sidetracked there…my bad.
I am a vegetarian and my diet at home consists of Mexican food. This narrows down my shopping list. This is usually a good way to start when you are brainstorming for your first grocery list. You have to think what is the kind of food you usually eat at home or in other words, what does your diet consist of? For example, I know that I am going to buy rice and beans and tortillas ( I can’t eat a meal without them…unless it’s pasta or other non-Mexican food). I also know that I am not going buy lentils or beets because they are items that I have never eaten or rarely eat. Also, make sure to stock up on some canned goods and frozen veggies/fruit/food because they are a great time saver. I don’t plan on buying too many frozen or canned vegetables because I prefer my ingredients fresh.
Okay. So, for my list…
- Bell Peppers!
- Spring Onions
- Tomatillo (for those who don’t know what it is, it’s a small green tomato-like vegetable)
- and whatever else is in season
- Pasta Sauce
- Brown rice-I’ve got to stay healthy
- Beans-either pinto or red kidney or black or which ever one is cheaper
- Sandwich bread
- Hamburger buns
- Spirly-shaped pasta ( I don’t know what it’s called)
- Canned beans (if I get too lazy to cook beans)
- Canned fruit (such as pineapple)
- canned jalapañeos
- Those small fruit cups (peach, or mango cubes-these are knew apparently)
- Cooking oil
- Baking soda-great for cooking, cleaning, and looking pretty
- Vinegar-mostly for cleaning
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- rice vinegar
- Peanut Butter
- ground black pepper
- pancake mix
- tofu, and lots of it
- Corn tortillas-Mission or Guerrero?
- Flour tortillas
- cheese (queso fresco)
- frozen berries- for smoothies
- some frozen vegetables
- and ham (because if my boyfriend comes over I want to be able to make him a sandwich!)
- I don’t know what else
I think this is a good first grocery list. 🙂
What is your first grocery list going to look like?
Any tips? Good luck shopping, and remember look for specials and coupons when shopping!