This is similar to a list I found online except it is list of what I took. Hope it is helpful!
Now for the actual list:
- XL Twin sheets- most college dorms have XL twin beds
- XL comforter- well usually this comes in a set with the sheets too
- XL mattress protector- you don’t know who’s been sleeping on that bed or what they have done.
- Pillow-Bring this from home
- Pillow case
- Pillow Protector (optional)- I bought one. That way if my pillow was dirty I only had to wash the pillow protector and cover.
- mattress pad (optional)- I bought this because my dorm mattress wasn’t the most comfy.
- Laptop- if you are getting one. I did. Most students do.
- Laptop charger
- laptop case
- CD that come with your computer. Those are important! You never know when you might have to restart your computer from the beginning.
- USB Flash Drive
- External Hard Drive- What if your computer crashes? With all those important documents, pictures, etc? Yeah, not good.
- Cellphone charger
- Extension cord
- Ethernet cable- Well my dorm had WiFi but it wasn’t the best. Once I used an Ethernet cable, internet was awesome! And, most dorms should have an Ethernet jack
- Surge Protector
- Printer (optional)- I used the school’s printers. This is up to you whether you want a printer or not. But remember, you might have to share with your roommates. You’ll be sharing the printer, printer ink, and paper, but are they willing to buy the ink and paper if it runs out? And will you have room on your desk?
- Pens- I bought the regualr ball point pens and I also bought color pens.
- Pencil cup
- Stapler, staples
- Flash cards
- Notebook paper
- Scientific Calculator- Make sure you have a non-programmable. My chem professor allowed us to use one as along as it was a non-programmable on midterms/finals. I took with me my Ti-87 and a simple scientific one.
- Simple scientific calculator
- Notebook(s)- I had a 5 subject notebook for all of my classes. It worked for me. That way I didn’t have to carry multiple notebooks or worry about getting the wrong notebook
- White board (optional)- I bought this and made my math and chem homework easier
- Whiteboard marker (optional)
- Binder (optional)- I didn’t have a binder. I don’t really like them. Instead I used folders.
- Desk lamp (optional) – I didn’t have one because I didn’t need it. My roommates did have one. Again this is optional.
- Backpack/School bag (Will your laptop fit? Or are you willing to carrying it with your hands?)
Make sure your dishes are microwaveable. It will make dorm cooking easier. But, don’t take too many dishes just for you and someone else. So two of each.
- Paper Plates/cups
- Small Knife (if it’s allowed)
- Cutting board (if the knife is allowed)
- Ziploc bags
- Microwave -Check with your university’s requirements, check with your roommate(s).
- Minifridge -Check with your university’s requirements, check with your roommate(s).
- Reuseable Water bottle- a must have for college students.
- Water- either bottled, or a gallon
- Granola Bars
- Other snacks
Taking Care of your self
- Bath Towel
- Bath Robe
- Shower caddy-to carry your stuff
- Flip Flops – unless you want yucky stuff growing on your feet
- Bath wash, or bar soap- personally i don’t like the bar soap.
- Shaving cream- I have never used shaving cream. I just use soap or shampoo
- floss picks
- First Aid kit
- medicine/pills- that you actually need
- Pepto Bismol- I took it just in case…it actually came in handy…
- Contact lens/contact lens cleaning solution
- Hair Brush
- Nail Clippers
- anything else to keep you squeaky clean and healthy
- Laundry Detergent
- Disinfecting Wipes
- Aromatic Spray
- Hand Soap
- Dish washing Soap
- Disinfecting Spray
- Sleep Mask
- Clothes of Course- Pack according to your college city’s weather, pack seasonally. Don’t pack too much because you will have limited closet space, and very limited. IF you plan to go home for winter break, then that’s a perfect time to take clothes home that you don’t need anymore.
Important Items to take!
- debit/credit cards
- copies of your birth certificate-actually I didn’t take any…
- social security card-or even better memorize it! Although you might need it if you need to show some proof of whatever it may be
- Medical Insurance Card
- my college ID card
So again, this is what I took. If it works for you great! If it doesn’t it’s cool. This link however was useful for me when I was packing last year.
Have fun! What are you planning to pack?